The digital transformation of the content-value chain
6 September 2015
Today’s consumer is an evolved individual, one who is growing up with digital television, the internet, tablets and smartphones. Not only do they have a variety of choices, they also enjoy the convenience of consumption when they want it, the way they want it.
This change in consumer behaviour is increasing faster than ever before, making the entire content-value chain and its players transform themselves digitally.
Volume, discovery, platforms, devices, 4K, direct-to-consumer, engagement, speed, new monetisation and everything digital is the new normal. Media and entertainment enterprises (M&E) cannot live in the analogue or choose to be selectively digital in this new era. There is a need to become hyper-digital to face the Digital Next realities.
So what can they do to deal with Digital Next realities?
- Building a connected enterprise and a digital ecosystem is key to managing the business of content. Be it revenue growth or expansion in margins, media asset management (MAM) systems cannot function in isolation anymore. The M&E companies need enterprise-wide software to manage content-led business activities across departments globally, and to deal with big data challenges. Similar to other sectors, M&E companies need a media enterprise resource planning (ERP) suite that is rich in applications to handle workflow orchestration across the enterprise, supply chain and partner ecosystems.
- Distribution, in particular, has become increasingly complex in the hyper-digital world. More outlets, and the rise of video-on-demand systems – A-VoD, S-VoD and T-VoD – has driven the need for businesses to be more connected with content operations. CLEARTM Distribution Cloud by Prime Focus Technologies (PFT) offers an integrated solution by connecting the rights and sales-order systems – it helps process and service orders and offers governance around the rights regime.
- Content owners today have to embrace the cloud to deal with volume and speed for servicing their content demand to the growing number of digital outlets globally, such as Netflix, Hulu and other OTT platforms. And they need to do that at the lowest total cost of delivery. PFT’s CLEAR Operations Cloud helps do just that – it doesn’t just store and transcode, but performs end-to-end content operations on the cloud at the lowest costs.
- With myriad content available for consumption, content owners are struggling to capture the attention of fickle digital consumers – the challenge is to get consumers to discover their content. PFT came up with an equation – Content + Tags = Asset. Using detailed, multi-layered smart metadata, PFT allows content owners to tap into the DEE (discovery, engagement and experience) moment – enabling monetisation like never before. PFT, along with its partners, integrates such data with content to offer an immersive OTT experience.
- You cannot leave 4K out of the Digital Next realities. PFT’s CLEAR Operations Cloud provides 4K support, including a 4K up-conversion module, by leveraging the Academy Award-winning Lowry image processing libraries. This is supported by GPU cloud computing infrastructure.
PFT will be at IBC 2015 in Amsterdam to showcase its revolutionary cloud technology, CLEAR, to deal with Digital Next realities. Scan the QR Code to schedule a meeting. Booth #7.B12